Pages

Saturday 24 March 2012

Lichen Planus in the mouth

Back in 2010 my dentist thought I had Lichen Planus or Leukoplakia in my mouth because he observed streaky white patches.  I was booked into a local hospital and 'put under' for a surgeon to check for pre-cancerous growth (Leukoplakia). A biopsy was taken where a tiny piece of my cheek was taken. Results were negative for cancer or a pre-cancerous condition and confirmed I had Lichen Planus, which for me has absolutely no symptoms or pain.

Lichen planus affecting lower lip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lichen_planus_lip.jpg 
There may be some connection between oral lichen planus and cancer of the mouth in perhaps 1% to 3% of patients who have had the condition a long time. The exact connection between oral lichen planus and cancer is not certain, and only a very few patients with oral lichen planus ever have such complications (CGS1).





Links

No comments: